Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes (with a twist)

I wanted to try one of the recipes from Deceptively Delicious that sounded questionable to me, so I chose Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado and Cauliflower. Now, I LOVE avocados, but in my chocolate? Hmmm.

Cupcake Batter

Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup of avocado puree
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (I didn't have this, so I just used white vinegar.)
2 large egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Note: She says that the taste of the avocado is still slightly detectable when the cupcakes are warm, so be sure to completely cook them before serving.

Frosting

1 (8 oz) package reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (I used more because the consistency was too runny.)
1/4 cup cauliflower puree (Puree cauliflower and a little water in a food processor.)
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups. In a large mixing bowl, beat the avocado puree, sugar, milk, vanilla, and vinegar until smooth. Beat in the egg whites one at a time, just until incorporated. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until smooth. Divide the batter among muffin cups. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes spring back to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely before frosting them. For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, cauliflower puree, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Spread over the cooled cupcakes. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.





Final verdict: Without the icing, there was something different about the cupcakes. The taste wasn't bad, but I felt like there was a slight aftertaste. However, I couldn't decide if it was actually that or if I was imagining it since I knew there were avocados in it. Stalena took them to work and there was no revolt, so I guess they were okay. I think with the icing it was harder to tell. The icing itself had not a hint of the cauliflower, so that was successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment