Sunday, May 9, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake #2

Chris passed this recipe along to me and it can be found on food2.com. It's actually Banana, Peanut Butter, and Chocolate Mini Cupcakes. However, I wanted it to be a bread shape and I'm not crazy about peanut butter, so I altered it a smidge. Plus, I'm trying to replicate Starbucks' and theirs is topped with mini chocolate chips. I liked this recipe much better than the first. The banana flavor was stronger which I find delightful and important when the word banana is in the title of a recipe.

Here's my version:

1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
2 very ripe large bananas
1/2 cup yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 bag of mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. Whisk the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. With an electric mixer whip sugar and butter until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and yolk, and mix until well combine. Smash up the banana with banana peel still on, and add to batter along with vanilla and yogurt. Mix for 1 minute. Add the dry ingredients in 2 additions mixing until just combine. Just before the last addition of flour is absorbed in the batter add mini chocolate chips. Fold 3-5 times until just combine. Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake for.... I'm not really sure. It's been over a week since I made it. I think it was around 30 minutes. Your safest bet is to start lower in time and add on as needed. If you decide to make it as cupcakes, 15-20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. amy- i was COMPLETELY inspired by this (and by a recent clean out of the fridge) so i concocted my own version.... with 2 half containers of sour cream, powdered sugar (i was out of regular?) and a few grated blocks of baking chocolate. it wasn't bad. it didn't rise (but i think that's because i was out of baking powder)... =)
    anyway, just wanted to let you know you are MY INSPIRATION!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete