Friday, November 12, 2010

Taco Soup

When I visited my aunt and uncle in North Carolina, my Aunt Gail made taco soup in her crockpot and it was deeeelicious. It's a perfect recipe for gatherings (it makes a lot) and for the colder weather.



2 lbs hamburger (I use 93/7 lean meat.)
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
2 cans diced tomatoes (I chose the ones with peppers and onions.)
1 can shoepeg corn
1 package Taco Seasoning
1 package Ranch Seasoning
2 cups water

Optional toppings:
Fritos or tortilla chips
cheese
sour cream

Brown the hamburger in a skillet and drain the grease. Rinse the beans and corn; place in the crockpot. Add the tomatoes with their juice. Place the cooked hamburger in the crockpot followed by the seasonings and water. Stir and let it hang out on high for 4 hours. Serve topped with cheese and sour cream, if desired. I keep my Fritos or tortilla chips to the side so they don't become soggy. Do whatever makes you happy. And if you really want to replicate my aunt's dining experience, drink a Diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash.





Isn't it pretty? It's only pretty because I chose to not include the picture that had the meat with the beans. Let's be honest: sometimes meat isn't very photogenic.




I had never heard of the Sierra Mist with cranberry until my visit. My aunt's stash was from last year's holiday season. I had to give her a kidney in exchange for one can. She also turned me onto Canada Dry with cranberry. Apparently, Missouri is not good enough for the Canada Dry/cranberry craze. I have yet to find it. If you see it somewhere, let me know! I'll give you my other kidney...okay, I won't. I down to one because of Aunt Gail. I'll give you my appendix. Or a portion of my liver. Maybe a lock of hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment