Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chewy, Fudgy Triple Chocolate Brownies



I was at Barnes & Noble last week and I saw America Test Kitchen's recent magazine of top recipes. I flipped through it and made a mental list of recipes I'd like to try, but when I came to the brownie recipe I was intrigued. Now, you may remember from a recipe posting that I'm not really a brownie fan. But after that recipe, I read a post from the Pioneer Woman that discussed the difference in baking chocolate. Wondering if that was part of my disappointment, I decided to try this recipe. Guess what? It's not. I really don't prefer brownies. Period. These had a more distinct chocolate flavor, but I wasn't a fan of the texture. They were moist, but stuck to your mouth. I've decided that the next time I have to make brownies, I'm going with a box. Yup. A box. And I won't even feel bad about it.



5 ounces semisweet chocolate or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate , chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into quarters
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Fold two 12-inch pieces of foil lengthwise so that they measure 7 inches wide. Fit one sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; overhang will help in removal of baked brownies. Fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.


(I was a rebel and didn't fold the foil. It worked just fine. Save yourself a step.)

2. In medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.



3. Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour with wooden spoon until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula.




Bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes.




Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan using foil handles. Cut into 1-inch squares and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve; brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment