Friday, June 18, 2010

Coffee Cake



When I think of coffee cake I think of my mom. She made it frequently for breakfast on Sunday morning. I'd sit at our kitchen table eating my coffee cake and drinking milk while my dad read the Sunday paper and my mom prepped Sunday lunch (usually roast beef with carrots and potatoes). Yesterday, the Pioneer Woman posted what she described as the best coffee cake ever. What better way to start my week off work than with a little coffee cake?




Cake
1 1/2 stick Butter, Softened
2 cups Scant Sugar
3 cups Flour, Sifted
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 cup Whole Milk (I used 2%)
3 whole Egg Whites, Beaten Until Stiff

Topping
1 1/2 stick Butter, Softened
3/4 cups Flour
1 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
1 1/2 cup Pecans, Chopped (I didn't use pecans. My mom never did and I'm not really a fan of nuts.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

Beat egg whites and set aside.



Cream butter and sugar. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until combined. Don’t overbeat. Fold in beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula. Spread in a well-greased 9 x 13 or 8 x 11-inch baking pan (use the latter if you want thicker slices of cake.)
In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle all over the top.


So I may have gotten a little distracted and mixed the crumbly topping way too much. Drats. In this case, do as I say, not as I do.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until no longer jiggly.

No comments:

Post a Comment