Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mediterranean Chicken



If this isn't my favorite main dish, it's in the top 5. I can't even handle it. It's such a light, fresh dish. I love using lemon to flavor, so this is perfect for me. I found it in one of Kesia's cookbooks about four years ago. I don't make it nearly enough and every time I do cook it, I wonder why in the world I don't make it more often. I can never decide what I like best about it. The chicken? The onion? The pepper? The potatoes? Each bite changes my mind. Oh gracious, I love this dish. The lemon juice and olive oil help to keep the chicken moist. Just trust me and make this dish. It'll change your life. Or at least make your mouth really, really happy. Last week I kicked off a stretch of working 8 days, so I made this dish to be my lunch for the upcoming days. Best idea ever.




2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
2-3 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 medium baking potatoes
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1" strips
1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
4 chicken breast

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Using a garlic press, add to the bowl. Add oregano, salt, pepper; stir and set aside. Cut potatoes and place in a 9x13 pan followed by the pepper and onion. Pour half of the lemon juice mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat.




Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, brush both sides with the remaining lemon juice mixture. (Just for kicks, I cut the lemon I used for zest into wedges and place around the chicken.)


(This picture is before I put the lemon wedges in. Use your imagination.)

Bake 1 hour or until the chicken is no longer pink.


Lunch! Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment