Monday, September 27, 2010

Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies


I like to bake. I like to compare. I like to challenge it when someone calls a recipe "the best". What does this say about me? Am I contrary or simply a bit mischievous? Maybe it just means that I am trying to better my recipe box or develop my palate. Hmmm. I'm feeling a little ornery this morning, so I think I'd side with mischievous. But I think when I'm feeling less like a punk, it means that I'm simply looking for great recipes.

Okay, I just took a chill pill, so I'm feeling less like a troublemaker. I think I like challenging the "best" recipes because it gives me room to learn. It allows me to see if there are adaptations I'd like to make to my own cooking. Oh, and by chill pill I just mean that I ran 80 laps around my house. And by 80 laps I mean that I sent an email to a friend which helped to clear my mind. Friends are the best kinds of chill pills.

Am I on crack today? I've already cycled through feeling mischievous, being calm, and then sappy. My allergies are throwing me for a loop. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have taken no medication today. I did take an allergy pill yesterday afternoon. The end.)

Okay, before I completely lose you all, let's get to the recipe... Why do words you've used countless times sometimes start to look so wrong? Today's example: let's. Don't you worry your little heart, I couldn't bear to use the wrong form, so I confirmed that I was using the correct let's (vs. lets). I know, I know. I'm messed up in the head. Good thing I can bake. It's my saving grace.

Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies. Because really, why would I not try this recipe? I will tell you that the actual recipe called for milk, white, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Guess what? I didn't listen. I don't like white chocolate and I'm not really a fan of semi-sweet. It's milk chocolate chips all the way for me. However, if you like those other chips feel free to mix them up and let me know what you think. I still won't use them, but I like hearing your thoughts.



2 sticks of Salted Butter at room temperature
1 cup white granulated sugar
2/3 cups packed light brown sugar
2 whole large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 packages (1 oz packets, not sugar-free) hot chocolate mix
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup of each type of chips

A couple notes: I usually stick with unsalted butter which means I only had one stick of salted butter on hand. I think using one of each worked just fine. And 3 cups of chips in a recipe? Are you kidding me? Maybe I'm a freak, but I don't like that many chips in my cookies. I mean, it was only at the persistent begging and pleading of my coworkers that I started to use a full bag of chips vs. 3/4 of a bag. I didn't measure out my chips, but I can guarantee you that I wasn't anywhere close to 3 cups. I'm not trying to induce sugar comas in the people that eat my cooking. Now, let's take a walk down therapy lane to investigate why I did not used to use a full bag of chips. My mom didn't. That means I grew up eating a cookie that balanced out enjoying the dough with the sweetness of the chocolate. Sometimes I actually enjoy the dough part more than the chocolate. Don't tell Ghiradelli.

Oh, and before I forget (which is likely to happen since I'm awfully scattered today...see what happens when I have gaps in blogging?), this recipe comes from elimaxandlela on Tasty Kitchen.

Now for the instructions (please don't give up on me, the cookies will be tasty):
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients in 3 to 4 parts, making sure all is incorporated.


See the texture? It was different than other cookies...fluffy yet dense. Is that even possible?

Fold in chips.


With my rebellious milk chips

Chill the dough for an hour or so. (This helps it to set up and makes it easier to make into balls.) Scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I just used Pam on mine). Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment