Thursday, July 1, 2010

The French Toast Experiment

A couple years ago I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives where a restaurant made Capn Crunch French Toast. I wanted to make it, but forgot about it until I saw a rerun a year later. Yet again, I didn't get around to making it. After hearing about a cornflake coated french toast I was once again reminded of the recipe. I tried it last week with Jenny and thought it was okay. When I was planning on my second attempt for the blog, I decided I might as well test the corn flake recipe too. And then in the cereal aisle, I wondered about the option of Frosted Flakes. The recipe is the same for all. After trying all three, I think that the Capn Crunch works the best and that the whipped topping is what makes it. However, I've also decided that I prefer regular French Toast to the cereal dipped versions. This realization reminded me of a wonderful baked French Toast that my mom discovered years ago, so I'll be attempting to hunt down that recipe to share.

.....Can I be honest? I wouldn't bother with these. Let me simply advise you not too. I mean, if you're dying to try them, go for it. Just know that I plan on never making them again. That's how unimpressed I felt. The Pioneer Woman likes to "keep it real", so in following her example, I'm going to try to steer you clear of less than delicious recipes. In fact, I just decided that I'm not going to post the recipe. If you want to attempt it, just make your basic french toast egg bath and then dip in the cereal. Here are some photos, so you can see the outcome.







No comments:

Post a Comment