Thursday, July 8, 2010

St. Louis Bread Co. Oven French Toast



God bless my mom and the person that gave her this recipe. I remember thinking this was the best french toast ever when she first made it, but it's not something I've had for years. Since college? high school? Anyway, the disappointing cereal french toast recipe did have one positive outcome: it reminded me of this redeeming, glorious recipe. Oh, man. You're going to love and hate me for this.

6-8 thick slices of French bread
6 tablespoons of butter (I used 2; it's to grease the pan and butter the bread.)
1 teaspoon vanilla (One day I'll have to tell you what I learned about vanilla.)
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons syrup
Dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup light brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 13 x 9 pan. Butter both sides of bread and place in baking pan.



Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bread then drizzle the syrup over the bread.


This should be illegal.


This is illegal in 14 states. Thankfully, Missouri is not one.

In a bowl, mix the eggs you've already beaten, vanilla, half and half, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour evenly over bread slices. Let baking pan rest for 15 to 30 minutes before putting in the oven.


Do you hear the choir singing?

Bake for 30-45 minutes, until brown. What I love about this is there is some texture to the top, but it's so creamy inside. Almost like a custard. Mmmmm. Sort of like a french toast creme brulee. I love creme brulee. I would marry creme brulee.




I can't apologize for perfection.

------------
Ummmm, can we pretend like the lighting in some of the pictures isn't sub-par? Soon I'll be getting a lesson from Sesha about lighting and Aperture (a neat program for Macs), so they'll be even better. And I really wanted to get my blog updated, so I didn't feel like spending a couple hours perfecting lighting issues. Suck it up.

1 comment:

  1. I want to print off your blog and make a recipe book.

    ReplyDelete