Saturday, July 31, 2010

Slow Cooker Roast Beef



For the majority of Sundays while I lived at home, my mom would make a roast. I've made a couple roasts on my own, but usually in the slow cooker. It's easy, little fuss, and you can go about your life. Roast is a wonderful food because it can be versatile depending on seasoning. Plus, it's delicious hot or cold in a sandwich the next day.

I have meat issues. I don't like to handle it too much, I don't like to associate the raw meat with my final product, and I have issues. So, being able to throw the meat in the slow cooker is perfect for me. Seriously. I really can't think about it or meat grosses me out.

I bought a more expensive roast because I wanted a higher quality cut with less fat. Plus, I didn't realize that I was being ripped off until I talked prices with my mom. But it was a really fantastic cut of meat and the taste combined with the low fat to meat ratio made it worth it. (Should I have said low meat to fat ratio? I don't know how to word that using a ratio scenario. Whatever, there was waaay more meat than fat. The end.)

I'm not going to provide a recipe because I simply want to make you aware of using a slow cooker for a roast. I put my roast in with a cup of water (the water should rise up to cover 3/4 of the roast) and I seasoned the heck out of it with a couple spices I had bought. You can use rubs, Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper, yada yada yada. Season with whatever flavor makes your mouth happy. Cook on high for approximately 4 hours. It may take a little longer depending on the size of your roast. Make sure you check it because you don't want to overcook your roast. Dry roast is not good. You shouldn't need gravy to moisten or flavor a good roast. If you're cooking a more straightforward roast, throw in some carrots and potatoes. And now you have successfully made a delicious dish with minimal effort. You're welcome.

P.S. I think I have used the word roast in this blog more than I've said it in my 29 years of existence. Roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment