Saturday, July 31, 2010

Peach Crisp



I could write poetry about peach crisp. They would all be love sonnets. My mom makes a killer peach crisp. It makes me love her even more. Of course, my mom is not the type of person to use recipes, so a couple years ago when I begged her for her peach crisp recipe she was a little uncertain of what to tell me. So I did only what I could do in such a position, I threatened to share with the world the picture I have of her wearing a zebra tail. Oh, how quickly she discovered the recipe then. Okay, I made all that up. Though I do have a picture of her wearing a zebra tail when we moved me to Kansas and I found it packed in my stuff. My mom indulges my silliness, which also makes me love her more. Now, I should tell you, I ONLY make peach crisp in the summer with perfectly fresh peaches. I have never attempted it with canned peaches and doubtfully ever will. Canned peaches are simply a sin.

Peach Crisp, Mom Style

1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
Peaches

Peel and slice peaches to cover a 9x13 pan. Tip from my mom: cut the peaches over the dish so the juice drips into the pan. In a bowl, mix together the ingredients, making a coarse meal. Sprinkle the topping over the peaches. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. In theory you're supposed to spray the pan, but I always forget that part; however, I've never had a problem in my glass dish. The peach crisp is good when it comes out of the oven, but if you can hold out, wait until the next day. The flavors.....oh, heavens. I can't even talk about how good it is the next day. Now, you won't be able to wait for the next day and that's okay. Just make sure you save some so you can enjoy it when the flavors have had time to settle.




My mama. I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment