Friday, July 30, 2010

Homemade Pasta



A while back I decided that I wanted to try my hand at homemade pasta, but it seemed intimidating. Then I found a super simple recipe on the Pioneer Woman's site from her friend, Pastor Ryan. Guess what? It's just eggs and flour! And Ryan used a rolling pin and pizza cutter, so I thought it would be much easier than I expected. The most difficult part came when I was cooking the noodles simply because I wasn't sure how they were to look or taste since it was a new recipe. Here's his recipe:

Rule of thumb: Two eggs per one cup of flour

Make a well in the center of your pile of flour and crack in your eggs.


My well runneth over. Eh.

Slowly mix together with your hands. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead (roll, punch, push, etc.) by hand until dough becomes smooth and pliable, adding flour to the board as necessary.

Let the dough rest for a little while before rolling it out. You can sort of figure on one egg per person to determine how much dough to make. Example: Two eggs and one cup of flour would make enough pasta dough for a dinner for two.

When you’re ready, roll it out on a floured surface as thinly as it’ll go. The noodles will plump up quite a bit when they boil in the water, so the thinner you can roll it, the better. Cut the noodles really thin. You can use a sharp knife (if you can keep it in a straight line), a pizza wheel, or a long pizza/bread cutter.


For Christmas, I was given a long pizza cutter, which worked perfectly.

To cook the noodles, just boil them in salted water (very important!) for probably two minutes. They cook lightning fast, so don’t let ‘em go too long.


I made a homemade sauce to go with my pasta. I used ground beef, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil. It was tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment