Monday, January 4, 2010

Alfredo Sauce and New Year's Eve

This year (or I suppose last year now that it's 2010) the roommates and I decided to stay in for New Year's Eve and celebrate with a dinner and some friends. I think there's just something so nice about simply being with friends to start out a year. Especially when you know the wonderful people that we do. Anyway, Sesha recommended making fettuccine alfredo like they do on The Holiday. That afternoon the thought occurred to me that I should make the sauce from scratch. And then I thought, why not make creme brulee too. (However, I don't count this as one of my 20 recipes by May since it was an organic box mix. True, I still had to add ingredients and do the work, but since it's not completely homemade, I'm not going to count it.) I used Betty Crocker's Alfredo Sauce recipe from the Bridal Edition cookbook. Now, I know that I've never actually been a bride, but guess what, it's not actually a qualifier for buying the cookbook. Plus, it has a bunch of great, basic cooking info. So if you're newer to cooking and want solid information, check out the cookbook- single, engaged, married, whatever.

Alfredo Sauce

1/2 cup butter or stick margarine (I used butter. We always have unsalted butter.)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper

Heat butter and whipping cream in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low, simmer 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt, and pepper.

Since I was making fettuccine for five, I increased the amounts to make more sauce. It was a really easy recipe and delicious. So much better than a jar! I'd love to show you a picture of the fettuccine, but when it uploads it's rotating it and I have no idea how to fix such a problem. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment