Monday, January 11, 2010

Neiman-Marcus Cookies

Neiman-Marcus Cookies aka cookies I'll likely never make again. This receipe came from Tressa Yinger from the church cookbook. Here's thing thing about me and cooking: I want a product that tastes good and that isn't overly complicated. This recipe was more labor intensive than I want for a cookie recipe. And while they're good, I think there are other cookies I prefer.

Neiman-Marcus Cookies

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 1/2 c. blended oatmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
12 oz. chocolate chips
1 (4 oz) Hershey bar, grated
1 1/2 c. chopped nuts (I didn't use. I never add nuts to my recipes.)

Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

This recipe was actually double the amounts, but I didn't want to make that many cookies so I halved it. Also, it's a stiffer dough so it was harder to work with. If I had used the full amounts, I would have probably gone mad by the time I finished mixing it. Here are a couple tips for you: grate your chocolate bar first. It's a time consuming step. I did mine the night before and I'm so glad that I did!!! Using a grater is my least favorite thing in the kitchen. I'm terrified that I'll grate my fingers. I used a knife to cut up the last bits that were to small to grate and yet too large to just toss into the cookies. Also, we don't have a blender, so I put my oatmeal in the food processor. A couple spins and it was ready. This recipe takes some muscle. Frankly, it wore me out. I was tired of the whole recipe by the end of it.


Can you believe this is all one of those giant chocolate bar equals?!!





This may be the best advice I can give you: while the first batch is baking, use that 10 minutes to roll the rest of the dough. Hand-rolling dough isn't hard, but it's another time consuming step.




1 comment:

  1. next time spin the chocolate in the food processor. if you pulse it and don't go for TOO long (to end up melting it) it should be fine. save your fingers! =)

    ReplyDelete