Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Surprise

This is not a new recipe for me. I've actually been making it for close to a year, possibly longer. It's for chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas. Don't stop reading yet!! I don't generally watch Oprah, but one day I happened to stop when she was interviewing Jessica Seinfeld, author of Deceptively Delicious. The cookbook has ways to sneak vegetables into foods so that you're giving your family healthier options. They talked about the cookies and I didn't really believe them, so I had to try the recipe for myself. The result: cookies that Stalena, Sesha, and I LOVE. I mean it, we love this recipe. The chickpeas give a little bite to the cookie and I think they pull out the sweet a bit with the juxtaposition of the salt. I know you're still skeptical, but give them a try, just once.

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas (from Deceptively Delicious)

Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup margarine (If you'd prefer, you can use butter.)
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (also called garbanzo beans)
12 oz chocolate chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until a thick dough forms. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes; do not overbake. Transfer to a cooking rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.



Tonight's blogging music: The Kill/30 Seconds to Mars, Helena/My Chemical Romance, Tranquilize/The Killers, Mr. Brightside/The Killers, September/Earth, Wind & Fire, Don't Stop Believin'/Glee, Lovers' Carvings/Bibio, Misguided Ghosts/Paramore, Rosyln/Bon Iver & St. Vincent, Possibility/Lykke Li, Fly One Time/Ben Harper & Relentless7, Her Morning Elegance/Oren Lavie, Falling Slowly/Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, Lies/Glen Hansard, Say It To Me Now/Glen Hansard

One of my favorite things about making new playlists/cds for people is rediscovering music I love, but have perhaps forgotten about. :)

1 comment: