Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Red Sauce #1

Oh dear friends, my brain is tired. Today was full of nurse orientation, a medication administration test, and signing up for NCLEX (the test for licensure). However, I want to catch up my blog with all the recipes I've tried so far. So here we go.

On New Year's Day, I decided to make a red sauce for angel hair pasta. I had successfully created the alfredo sauce the night before, so a red sauce seemed to be the logical next step. Plus, after having made the alfredo sauce and seeing that it was butter, whipping cream, and cheese I thought it wouldn't be wise to have that as a routine sauce. I'd prefer not to die at age 35. Thanks, though. Once again, I consulted my Betty Crocker Bridal Edition cookbook and was given three different options for a tomato sauce. I'll be trying all three, but I decided to start with the one that I had the most supplies for already.

Red Sauce

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion chopped (1 cup) [I didn't end up using a full cup.]
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz) mushroom pieces and stems, drained
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 TBsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt

Cook beef, onion, and garlic in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown (about 8-10 minutes); drain. Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking tomatoes with a fork or snipping with kitchen scissors. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Cooking



Finished Product

No comments:

Post a Comment