Friday, January 22, 2010

Mama Mia!

I am absolutely giddy! Why? Because our internet is working again! Hooray!!! My hero for the day is Colby who rushed in on his white steed (okay, he came in a white truck) and slayed the problem. I have so much to do today. It's the fair Stalena's birthday!! However, I wanted to catch up my blog a bit because I'm two recipes behind and I'll be making a tasty treat today for Leen.

I'm still on my quest to find my favorite tomato sauce. This is sauce #2. The flavor was nice, but it was thinner than I like. I have one more to try, but I have a feeling that I may end up morphing the recipes together.

Italian Tomato Sauce (Betty Crocker's Cookbook: Bridal Edition-- I'm telling you, this is my go-to cookbook! Married or not.)

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed (I didn't have any, so I skipped it.)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes with a fork or snipping with kitchen scissors. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 minutes. Use sauce immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.




I wanted to make homemade bread to go with the spaghetti and then I learned that French bread would take around 4 1/2 hours. Instead, I pulled out the trusty bread machine and compromised. I don't count this as one of my 20 recipes since I didn't do any work, but it was fun, easy, and delicious. It made our house smell like heaven. :)


1 comment:

  1. the bread maker at my mom's house has a french bread recipe which is so easy. set the machine to dough, and then all you have to do is form the loaves and bake. =)

    ReplyDelete